Writer Wednesday Interview - Katherine Grey


Today I am delighted to be interviewing Katherine Grey, whose historical romances An Unexpected Gift and The Muse are published by The Wild Rose Press.  Welcome, Katherine.  Have you always written historical romances, or have you experimented with other genres?

I wrote a mystery about a year or so ago but apparently didn’t do a very good job with the red herrings as my friend told me she figured out who the murderer was by the third chapter.  It’s currently sitting on the shelf in my closet. I’m not sure if I’ll revise it and try to sell it or use it as a learning experience.

Can you tell us a bit about your most recent release and what inspired it?

My most recent release is An Unexpected Gift. It’s about two damaged people finding each other while searching for their loved ones. The hero was a secondary character in my novella, The Muse. I couldn’t get him out of my head so I knew I had to write his story.

You wrote ‘The Muse’ for the ‘Love Letters’ line.  How did you find writing for a line with very specific guidelines?

I actually didn’t have any problem with the guidelines, but I had a lot of difficulty keeping it within the required word count.  Writing novellas and/or short stories is a lot harder than it seems.

What kind of research do you do to make sure your historical scenes ring true?

I do a lot of reading of the time period. I haunt antique bookstores looking for diaries, maps and such. I try to talk to historians or authorities on certain subjects as they may pertain to my manuscripts. As part of my research for An Unexpected Gift I spoke with a gentleman who is an authority on the game of Hazard and its present form.

What’s the most surprising fact you’ve come across while researching a book?

I read an account of a highway man who stole from the rich. It turned out he was a vicar who was used the money and jewelry he stole from the aristocracy to help the needy in his parish. I’ve often wondered if he was inspired by the legend of Robin Hood.

Do you have a favourite hero and heroine from your books, and who would you like to see them played by in a film of the book? 

Lazarus and Olivia from An Unexpected Gift are my favourite hero and heroine. If a movie was made, I’d love to see Hugh Jackman play Lazarus (though I will admit that I’d be willing to watch him do nothing more than just stand in one place) and I could easily see Amy Adams play Olivia.

How would you sum up the philosophy, or message, behind your books?

Regardless of your present circumstances, if you have to courage to move forward, things will get better.

What have you found most useful in learning your craft, and what would you recommend for new writers?

Two things were the most helpful to me while I was learning the do’s and don’t’s of writing – joining a writing group whether it be a group that meets only online or in person. There are a lot of people who are willing to share their knowledge in this type of setting. The second thing was to attend workshops.

Do you mainly read romance, or do you get ideas from other genres too?

I read in a wide variety of genres. The only types I don’t read are horror (I have too vivid an imagination and end up having nightmares), erotica, and some types of science fiction.

Most writers nowadays lead a very busy life – have you any tips about how to find time for writing, or make the most of writing time?
I work a full time job so finding writing time is important to me.  One tip that was I was given that works for me is to set a weekly page goal. Some days we find we have more time to write than others so if you can’t write every day as long as you meet that weekly goal, you’re still moving forward and have that sense of accomplishment.

Where should we go to find out more about your books? 


Thanks Katherine.  I enjoyed hearing about your writing, and I can definitely see Hugh Jackman as Lazarus.  Roll on the film!  

Comments

  1. Great interview, Katherine. I so enjoyed both of your books and hope there are more to come my way. And Hugh Jackman as Lazarus...great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,

    The books were made even better with your editorial expertise. Finch from "An Unexpected Gift" has been insisting he, too, needs his own story so I'm sure you'll be seeing that soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview, Katherine. And, yes, Hugh can play just about any part he pleases. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,

    I agree Hugh can play any part. I would have loved to see him live and in person when he was on Broadway in New York City. I hope you enjoy Lazarus and Olivia's story. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Katherine and all our visitors, for being here today. I've never been to Broadway and I'd love to go, with or without Hugh Jackman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie,

    I've never been to Broadway either and I only live about 6 hours away. Thank you for having me as your guest. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katherine,
    Great interview. Ooh yes, Hugh Jackman, love the man and not just because he is an Aussie like me. I have a writing friend whose mother knows his family, and he is supposed to be the nicest guy. His wife Deb Furness is lovley too.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,

      Hugh does seem very down to earth. I can easily see him as being very nice to everyone and not having that "I'm a celebrity, bow down to me" attitude some celebrities seem to have. I'm glad you liked the interview.

      Delete
  8. Great interview! :)

    I've actually read this book and it's a terrific historical romance. I feel in love with Olivia almost instantly, yet had a love/hate relationship with Lazarus during most of the story. However, he redeemed himself in the end. That was, to be honest, when I felt he was completely worthy of a relationship with Olivia.

    I can't wait to read "The Muse." It's on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mirriam,

      I'm so glad you enjoyed "An Unexpected Gift." Lazarus was a difficult character to write being the type of man that he is. I'm glad you thought he redeemed himself at the end. I wanted him to have the push/pull between what he thought he needed to do and what he had to do and from your comment, I succeeded. I hope you enjoy "The Muse" as well. Thanks for stopping in. :o)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday Interview: Angela Wren

Why I love my publisher.

Writer Wednesday: Rachel Brimble